Saturday 21 April 2012

Worth coming back for

Facebook has tended to encourage my brief musings and online spare moments... writing my own blog fell by the wayside. But I am angry. Angry enough to put one more page on the internet in protest. Only Virtual Methodist knows the details better, and he is more measured than I, so follow the link and have a think.

Alternately...
My rant starts here:  This is Northern Ireland. People under threat (often police and paramilitaries) can have their house bought so that they can repurchase somewhere safer. So, a black African family receives concrete through the window, hitting the little girl, and somehow, without anyone being arrested, charged or convicted (or cautioned?) for that attack, they are supposed to believe that it is magically safe for them to return to the house where they were attacked. Has all racism suddenly been removed from Ballybeen estate? If so, tell us how - I'm sure there are other parts of the world that could benefit from such wonder-cures. Has someone leaned on a paramilitary "community worker" to lean on the idiots who threw the concrete? And that's supposed to make the family feel secure in their beds? They are as safe as the particular paramilitary leader's power and influence. Given the capacity of Loyalism to tear itself apart, I wouldn't want my daughter's wellbeing to be resting on that kind of security. Nor I suppose would the dear person who has decided this family don't qualify for the rehousing scheme.

I believe the Chief Constable would not stand over blatant injustice or discrimination... so I'm curious as to how this family don't qualify for rehousing.

Come on, Northern Ireland. We can do better than this. On so many levels. (Credit where it's due - I'm glad to hear the Church has been supportive... and some notable politicians... But come on, guys. If this family's name was... well, the right name... I'm convinced they wouldn't be having to try so hard to avail of the help they need.)

This is the land that got us the Good Friday Agreement. When it's the right thing to do, it has to be possible. Make it possible.

1 comment:

Virtual Methodist said...

Hi Cheryl,
Thanks for this... I didn't pick up on it at the time, and for various reasons I have been pre-occupied since... But for some reason my blog-reader seemed to choose today to throw this piece to the top of the pile for me... From what I hear there is still no progress on this. Will let you know if there is...